Sunday, August 5, 2018

3rd time's a charm...


This was my last week before going back to Iowa City tomorrow to sit in the chair for 5-6 hours and fill my veins with the juice of deathy-life.  Treatmet #2 - 4 left to go.  A lot has happened these last three weeks and with knowledge comes power so I’m ready for what comes after this go-round; bone-crushing ache and all.  Friends have written in to give me advice on how to deal with the pain and I’m going to work with my oncology team to find an appropriate pain management routine.

Oh, and we’re heading to Colorado... so…there’s that ;)

This last week I’ve been feeling more or less “normal”.  My shows have been performed with more of my old verve and less chemo-head.  Ooo, speaking of heads – as I was getting ready for a night out I applied my usual waxy paste hair product to my coif.  As I was giving my ‘do a final floof I felt something weird going on with my fingers.  In my hands was a nest of blue-blond hairs.  It finally happened… chemo-induced hair loss. 

I gotta say, I knew this was going to happen but it still freaked me out just a bit when I saw that nest.  I spent the next 3 days (and 2 shows) trying desperately to not touch my hair.  Not easy for me, and I could only apply so much hairspray.  Eventually, I was persistently wiping away hairs from my shoulders or table surfaces - without having touched my hair they were just dropping…or perhaps, jumping. So, on Saturday I took the plunge.  We set up a chair in the hall and the wife grabbed the clippers. 

There’s still a bit of a, “who’s that?” reaction when I happen to catch my reflection but I’m getting used to it.  By-the-by, the wind in your hair is a totally different feeling when your hair is only 1/8” long.  And, rubbing my head is a groovy tactile trip however, the more I do it the more little hairs I lose and the more thinning patches appear.  The plan is to shave it bald in the next day or two before I start looking like some mangy cur. 

Our Treat o’ the Week was coffee at Prospect Park to watch the sunrise.  We did our Sun Salutations and waited for the dawn to turn to day.  We were hoping to have a picture of “Sunrise over Mount Baldy” but the clouds refused to part for us.  Ah well, it was still a wonderful morning.


4 comments:

  1. Come over here and find some solutions and relaxation from the routine d'jour. I'd invite you to stay, but plague has visited our house, and I don't want to expose you to anything while your immune system is compromised. However, if your visit is a little later in the month, please know if my house has been appropriately purged of any illnesses, you are always welcome to stay. I'm still a little disorganized, but it's getting better every day!
    Finally, sending you all healing energy and great big safe cyber Karebear hugs! Keep taking care of the you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we're with you in this. Myra's dealing with breast cancer and we can relate to your description of the side effects talk. We were numb for a week fearing all of it. So far just really tired diabetes thru the roof and some bathroom issues. So sorry you are getting the pain part. Myra opted for the port to save her arms from being a pin cushion. The hair deal-yeah one day it just rained hair as she walked around. Gave up and shaved it. We love you and are with you in the kicking of cancer's butt. Kelly and Myra (from ren fest)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lojo, thank you for sharing this news with us. I just read all your blog posts, and it seems only you could make us laugh once or twice as you tell us your story. I am sending huge, huge positive energy, and lots of good mojo. Here's to banishing that bone crushing pain. Instead, I vote for crushing those mutant cells. Peace and love to you, dear Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lack blue blonde locks has diminished that Lojo glow. If you can find it, treat yourself to a movie night and watch “50/50”. Joseph Gordon Levitt plays the real life screenwriter who was diagnosed with cancer in his spine at 24 or 25. Seth Rogen basically plays himself because he and Paul, the screenwriter are real life besties and have been for years. There are sad moments, but the rest will have you howling with laughter.

    I saw the three of them (JGL, Seth and Paul, who wrote the screenplay) on a talk show when the movie came out and the three of them had everyone laughing so hard, they could barely get through the interview.

    ReplyDelete

A shot in the dark

One from within. One from without. When I began this blog is was turning into a very long diatribe of “poor me – covid screwed me big ti...