Monday, August 20, 2018

Channel No5


This week marked my first shows without hair.  I don’t know which is more onerous a task; trying to style my hair into its usual devil-may-care panache or trying to figure out if this head scarf matches that shirt.  Thanks to my good friend, Sue Dickey, she sent a wonderful selection of colourful, soft head scarves to make my decisions a bit easier.  Between the missus' wide colour palette of standard bandana patterns and Sue's vibrant and creative patterns I'm well on my way to becoming an expert in the art of headscarf couture.

It’s also been quite an education in the proper folding, application and lashing technique of said scarf.  There’s a finesse to making sure that the sides are even and coverage is uniform while determining that the back is at a proper length to cover the nape while not so long that it interferes with the collar.  I know… my troubles should be so small, right?

Now, less you think it’s vanity that influences my cottony coif – you’re right.  I’d like to think I could go onstage without my faux-flair but… the truth of the matter is one doesn’t dye one’s bang with a blue streak and then expect a bald pate to be as bold a statement.

For Week #5 the missus and I decided to try a late night dip in the pool – “uncovered”.  (Not an easy thing to do considering we have a chain-link fence and neighbors situated uphill from us.)  This evening's hoe-down hose-down was preceded by a day of heat and humidity so, it seemed only fitting that this was our "Chemo Is Fun!" treat choice.  Myself had a 3hour outdoor afternoon gig while Herself and some friends secured a good spot on the lawn for concert watching at the aforementioned pops concert.  By the time we got home it only made sense to take a cool dip on a warm night – and putting on swimsuits just seemed like more trouble that it was worth.  So there it is, a bold statement made in the dark.

Whether I would make such a bold statement in the light of day (or on stage) remains to be seen.

2 comments:

  1. You are being 'held in the light' from time to time.I've always thought you were just amazing in multiple ways, and here's to fun, relaxation, and doing all the right stuff to keep on keepin' on.

    With affection,

    Louie

    ReplyDelete

A shot in the dark

One from within. One from without. When I began this blog is was turning into a very long diatribe of “poor me – covid screwed me big ti...