Monday, July 16, 2018

Day One - done and dusted

Well, First Day of chemo... not my favorite day but my no means my worst.  It certainly was lllllloooooonnnnnnggggg.

I'll not bore you with all the gory details but I'll let you in on some of the secret goings on behind the teal curtain.
First day jitters had me pack enough games and such to last me a week in a remote cabin.  And, then I made the mistake of dressing for a cold hospital and found I couldn't roll up my sleeve past my forearm.   So,  I opted for a hand vein instead of a hospital gown - yep, I'm that vain (see what I did there? ;)

The scariest part came before the therapy even started - when we were going over the side effects of the drugs they'd be pumping into my body for the next 15 weeks.  

I already knew much of the usual stuff ; nausea,  body aches, hair loss (I've scarves, hats and set of clippers at the ready if/when that happens) the stuff you see on the commercials,  right? But,  it was the "possibilty of chemo-induced peripheral neuropathy"  - tingling, loss of feeling in my fingers - that sent me reeling. That is one possible side effect I can do without.  Fingers crossed this doesn't happen (but not too long less they start to tingle...)

As for the rest of the day it went something like this:  Take 2 benadryl and a tylenol to help against a bad reaction to the drug that will help against a bad the reaction to the chemo drugs that help against the stupid cancer.
Well,  2 benadryl and I was pretty much drooling most of the day.  I "watched" a, The Avengers, marathon on metv and had soup for lunch with my wife by my side the entire day.  We didn't touch one game, not even on my phone.  It was all so wonderfully,  non- threateningly boring. 

My nurse was fantastic,  and the room had a big window that looked out on Kinnick Stadium and a side street with a traffic cop making their monthly quota.

The best part of my day was the outpouring of texts from friends and family sending thoughts of love and support.
I'd like to say I'm staying positive thru this but that's not always true, so I'm glad you're out there being my positive thought and attitude when I don't have the strength. 
Thank you for your strength.

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog. Keep reporting, it is incredibly helpful to hear how you are. It is also a treasure for those who may have a similar experience someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of ours had the neuropathy issue while he had chemo. It’s been almost two years since his diagnosis and his is clearing up. You’ve got this.

    ReplyDelete

A shot in the dark

One from within. One from without. When I began this blog is was turning into a very long diatribe of “poor me – covid screwed me big ti...