Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Enough about me - let's talk about my music ;p


First I'd like to thank my "Roadies Du Jour" who've stepped up and helped out during my recovery from surgery that's left me with a lifting restriction.

To Dave Dipple, Brian Schou, Gregory, Gregg Parmentierre, Brad Suhr, Erin and Meyer Wikoff and my first Rd'J, Susan - my deepest, sincerest, most humble thanks for being there for what is normally the easiest part of my show and has recently been the most difficult.   Fact of the matter is these people (and so many others) have asked on many occasions to assist with my load-in, set-up, tear-down, load-out - to which I have kindly and stubbornly refused.

What many non-performers may not be aware is just how much energy is expended during a normal 3 hour show.  Most 3 hour shows can be up to 5 hour shows depending on amount of equipment one uses and location of the performance space in relation to the parking space.  In my particular case I carry 2 guitars, a portable PA system and several cases filled with additional gear and merchandise.   During this recent setback I learned that 4 pieces of my gear weighed more than 10 pounds (my weight restriction).  Even my guitars were close to that number while in their case.  In a normal night I endure a 4-4.5 hour strength+cardio workout.  It goes something like this...

Load in approximately 100pounds of gear [strength].  Set-up gear [stretching/warm-up], perform for 3 hours* with one or two 15minute breaks [cardio] and tear it all down again [stretch/cool down].  (*I once recorded my steps during the show and recorded over 10,000 steps!)  Then, after a long night of expending 10K+ steps of energy, I schlep and load that 100 pounds back to my car [strength].   In case you're wondering - this is my only regular exercise routine.

So, I've had 5 shows that required  the help of these magnificent "roadies" to haul my gear in and out again. It's not easy for me to ask for help and I'm not comfortable being weak ("no, thanks, I got it") or being bossy ("no, not there, put it over there...uh, please")  but there is no way I could have performed these shows without their help.

The shows themselves have also been revised in order to adjust for my condition.  I haven't used my drum for these shows due to the unstableness of my core strength, I've been sitting on a stool in order to conserve my strength and endure a 2-3 hour performance and most notably, I've only been bringing only one guitar because I found that reaching out to lift the guitars from their stand put too much stress on the stomach muscles.  (that's right, the drinking game has been on temporary hold)  All of this has created a different 'Lojo Russo Experience'.

I learned after my first show that, though my voice was strong my body...not so much.  Belting out the blues and roots seems to take as much energy from my body as it does from my lungs.  I now have a much better appreciation for how my performance is not separate pieces working in tandem but a whole system that works in synergy.  It truly is a mind/body/spirit kinda thing!

Going forward I've got a little break before my next set of shows and - depending on how the chemo plays out (am I nauseous?, is there neuropathy?, does my scarf and hat make my head look big?) - I plan to bring all the gear back into play - the drum, the second guitar, maybe even a little of my usual frivolity.  The pacing of my show will still be important to ensure that I am performing at my best whether it's the first song or the last.  Time will tell if I bring back the roadies...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A shot in the dark

One from within. One from without. When I began this blog is was turning into a very long diatribe of “poor me – covid screwed me big ti...