Monday, August 27, 2018

Week #6 – Leveling up…

It was an easy week of shows – in fact I only had one.  It was a new venue on a slow Wednesday night and I was in jeopardy of playing to only one – the bartender - when in walked some friends who were joined by more friends.  The evening was saved thanks to these folks I affectionately think of as The God Squad - most of which sing and play in bands inside and outside the church.  Good, talented and intelligent folk who appreciate a night of good music yet come to my shows anyway ;p

I thought Wednesday was going to be my one-and-done for the week when I received a text the next morning - seems that Brian (one of the ‘Squod’) had lost his voice.  I’d heard the rasp the night before but now it was full blown laryngitis and he had a solo show that evening at a local pub.  The text, in effect, said – “HELP!”  Brian is not just a musician but also a great supporter of independent music and frequently hosts house concerts for these musicians – including me.   He asked that I assist with the vocal part of the show while he kept up the keyboard accompaniment.  Of course, I said, “YES!”

We plucked, plunked and plowed our way through an evening that included everything from Louis B Armstrong (he provided a perfect gravelly basso for that one) to Janis Joplin  to Blackstreet’s, “No Diggity”.   We had fun and didn’t do too bad – if we say so ourselves. (I think the only one who may have noticed any notable blunders was his wife.) Not bad for having played together exactly once before and then, only two or three songs.  Luckily, he and I have similar tastes in genres; funky!

I don’t get many chances to jam with other musicians here in the Quad Cities – partly because of my schedule and partly because I just haven’t found the same kind of group of musicians like I had back home in Minneapolis.  Thanks to Brian for giving me a chance to do some jamming!

On Friday morning I performed my usual routine of having blood drawn in prep for my chemo on Monday.  It’s important that my blood cell counts and other levels are acceptable for treatment #3. That afternoon I got the call from the oncology team to okay my treatment – only this time they said my test results were unacceptable to receive chemo the following Monday so we had to reschedule for this Friday.  Seems one of my levels was too low and the only thing that’ll bring it up is time…and perhaps, a couple good night’s sleep. 

I’m hoping that this won’t become a common occurrence.  Prior to I was expected to be done by Halloween but presently, I’m expected to have my last treatment the first week of November.  If I can keep my levels up I can make sure this crap doesn’t interfere with my winter holiday plans.  This means I need to continue eating well (no sugar or alcohol and lots of anti-oxidants), exercising (I’ve joined the YMCA’s LiveSTRONG program), taking my supplements (witchy-poo and otherwise) and getting as much rest as possible (dial up the meditation tapes and Melatonin).

Chemo Treat #6 – Watch a Favorite Movie.  I opted for something I hadn’t watched in a very long time and even now enjoy listening to the soundtrack; Harry Nilsson’s, The Point, this version narrated by Ringo Starr.  I have to confess, it was fun to watch but we may have taken a small nap…

No comments:

Post a Comment

A shot in the dark

One from within. One from without. When I began this blog is was turning into a very long diatribe of “poor me – covid screwed me big ti...