Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Lucky week #7…sorta

Treatment #3 - I'm halfway done!!!

With the long Holiday weekend and only one show on Sunday it was a blessing in disguise that my treatment was pushed out from last Monday to Friday.  My white cell count was not high enough to do my Monday treatment but by Friday I got the okay.  Given my usual 2-3 days good, 3-5 days bad, then good till the next treatment I thought my chances for feeling good for this show and enjoying the holiday weekend would go better due to this rescheduling.  And I was (mostly) right.

On Sunday I was back at Tabor Home Winery for a Labor Day Weekend show.  I really enjoy playing this venue and it has been a couple years since I’ve played their.  Even the threat of rain didn’t keep people from coming out and having a good time.  Tabor has a unique micro-climate and perhaps the luck of the land of this Century Farm that “it never rains on a show day" - this luck was put to the test on Sunday.

The rain came in around 2:45 and stopped just minutes before the show started at 3p.  Thru the heat and the humidity I played and sweated my way thru a set list of old and new and even a couple of re-imagined songs in the third half of the set (the Third half is the Weird half).

I made some new fans and re-connected with some old friends and watched with delight as my newest young fan, Ava, kept trying to make off with a cantaloupe I’d been given by the Johnsons from their garden.  Ava’s mom was kept busy chasing her daughter around while the rest of us were kept amused by this 18mo antics.  Then, about 5:45 the wind and the rain started again – evidently, Mother Nature just couldn’t wait until the end of the show.

Tents came down and the folks on the lawn either ran for their cars or for the covered deck where I was playing.  We became a tidy bunch of rowdies and I played the rest of my set within the warmth and joviality of this resolute crowd.  A quick flurry of Irish songs seemed appropriate for the weather.  While the rain came in sideways and forced us all into a tighter and tighter circle we ended the show with a rousing chorus of Auld Time Religion.
With all lending their voice to the refrain the show ended and so did the rain – just long enough for most to get back to their cars while a few of the motley crew stayed on to finish their wine, visit with friends and help me with my tear down and packing. It was 2 more downpours before the rain stopped again and I was able to pack my car and head home.

It was on my way home that I became aware of the pain that had started while I was tearing down.  Instead of heading to dinner with friends I headed home to a warm Epsom salt bath and a Gabapentin.  I was so exhausted from the day’s activities that I fell fast asleep that night.

Only to awaken Monday feeling that same bone-crushing ache – despite the Gaba.  It was a hard day; lethargy and pain making it difficult to do anything but I had one chore that I really wanted to accomplish.  Susan and decided that this week’s Chemo Treat was to deliver flowers to our friends who’ve supported us during this time.  We made a few deliveries and then home again to rest and more Gabapentin.  We realize how many folks are our there supporting us in many ways and since we couldn’t deliver flowers to everyone we’d like to give you this:
  

“This week’s Chemo Treat is our treat to you!  A Sunflower Celebration to thank you for your thoughts, prayers, love and support during this time."
Thank You! ~ Love Lojo  & Susan


4 comments:

  1. Love the flowers!

    Thinking good thoughts and sending strength to you and Susan.

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph!
      Here's a TBT for ya. Recently I wrote a Halloween article for a local magazine and offered up pics of some of my favorite costumes...Fresco Pepsini Shastacola - the Italian Pops Conductor, made it onto the pages but not before I did a little photo editing to remove the half-naked, mid-disrobing Babara Streisand on the wall behind me (giggle...)

      Delete
  2. Okay, so now damnit I'm all caught up in the story. I say damnit because I had gleaned from the book of face that you have gone to battle with the ultra suck disease cancer. Well cancer is stupid and you're not, so you're gonna win!!! I'm so happy you have a strong team to help you, and lest you forget, I'm still a huge fan and friend even if I haven't made it to shows or corresponded or nuthin'. I love you Lojo Russo and you can just bet I'll be praying tons of my weird little prayers to *the* God and all the other gods, angels, faeries, gnomes, sprites, other good I believe in. I know you can kick cancer in the ass right out of your life!
    Love, Mary
    OXOXO

    ReplyDelete

A shot in the dark

One from within. One from without. When I began this blog is was turning into a very long diatribe of “poor me – covid screwed me big ti...