Monday, October 15, 2018

Week 13 – I took my troubles down to Madam Rue…

Today I’m in chemo… no, wait, I would’ve been, but my neutrophil number wasn’t high enough.  No Biggie - I’m set to sit on Thursday.  The thing about nuetrophils – the only thing that can make them better is time and a bump in my protein intake.  Thursday’s treatment will be #5!! I can see the finish line from here!

In the meantime, I had a couple of shows in the lovely hamlet of Trempeleau, Wisconsin this past weekend.  If you’ve never been you should.  There’s an historic hotel that comes complete with ghosts, a lovely view of the Mississippi (and great fishing if you’re into that) a nice little winery and apple orchards galore.  This time around I played the winery and an apple farm.  Both of these venues featured perfect autumnal settings and the only thing missing was perfect autumnal weather.


The sun was shining on us Saturday at Elmaro Vineyard and a brisk breeze kept the bugs away.  (Okay, the bugs were already gone cuz it was 45 degrees out and the breeze was blowing in from the north at a steady 15-20 miles an hour.)   For all that, the patio was filled with happy campers enjoying charcuterie and Chablis. And speaking of campers - just before my last set my wonderful friend, Sue Dickey, and her faithful companion, Gertie, showed up… in an RV!

Since this was an afternoon show it gave us plenty of time to enjoy the evening together.  We headed over to the Historic Trempeleau Hotel for scrumptious walnut burgers and hot chicken pot pie.  After dinner we listened to The Box Band for a set (rootsy folk with a little Grateful Dead thrown in for good measure) then headed back to the campground to sit by the fire catching up, drinking beer (in my case, sipping beer and spilling most of it on the ground) and playing ukulele for each other.  Now, that’s what I call an evening well spent!

Sunday morning she surprised me with a trip to a local attraction, the Kinstone Circle.  Just a few minutes from Trempeleau is this amazing place filled with standing stones, “ancient” buildings and native grass and plants.  It had been raining all morning and when we got there it finally stopped raining…and started snowing.  Weather be damned we entered  Kinstone and walked in awe past impressive natural granite structures, pastoral water features and a Stonehenge-style circle of standing stones – all of it tempered with the mystique of bright, huge, wet snowflakes.  It was our first snowfall of the year – well, at least it was our first snowfall, we can’t speak for Wisconsin.

Sue headed home to MN and I headed to my show at Ecker's Apple Farm.  This is a 4th generation farm and the apple pies are made with Gramma’s secret recipe.  The apple room smelled of hot cider and home-made ice cream.  (The ice cream must be really good cuz plenty of people were enjoying it on a day where the mercury only topped out at 37.)   I played from the loft and kept the room filled with funky folk and seasonal songs.  I left there also filled with 2 bags of Haralsons, a gallon of cider, gramma’s apple pie and warm memories of a weekend spent with a good friend.

That’s my chemo treat for the week – Sue Dickey, my “home away from home”.  Dude, thanks for being there and for the bonus treat of Kinstone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A shot in the dark

One from within. One from without. When I began this blog is was turning into a very long diatribe of “poor me – covid screwed me big ti...